Thursday, August 29, 2013

Another step closer...

If you had ever told me that I would be taking martial arts classes, and on a journey towards becoming a black belt, I would have laughed. Not just the snide giggle of disbelief, but the belly laugh of ridiculous notions, the coffee splattered all over the computer keyboard and shot through the nose kind of laughter that cannot be contained. But, that's me, up there ^ doing front jump kicks alongside my best friend and beloved husband.

How has this happened? Like most things in our life, I have no clue. One day, we were minding our own business, and the next day, we were signing up for classes.  It's something the whole family can do together all year long, it's fitness, it's positive, it's challenging. Seemed like a good idea. And it was. Honestly, I felt like an idiot donning that uniform and standing beside six year olds who could master the nuances of the forms better than I could. But the staff and team members soon reveal a spirit of respect and comradery that erases those insecurities. They are quick to remind newbies that EVERYONE started with that same white belt. There's no such thing as skipping steps in martial arts. Their favorite quote is "A black belt is a white belt that never quit."

And thus, white became yellow, yellow became orange, and now orange is becoming camouflage.

There are still days when I ask myself why I am doing this. We spend a lot of time there. It takes away from the hours I can paint. I'm not really a physical person. It hurts. But I keep going. I see it transforming my kids, my husband, me. Maybe I want to do it because it's not "me". Maybe I want to be an example for my kids and show them that anyone is capable of accomplishing something they never thought they could. Maybe I just want them to know that I love them so much it means everything to me to be as fit as I can be to be there for them as long as I can be. Maybe I just enjoy new paths, experiences, journeys. I really don't know.

But there I am, up there ^ doing something I never dreamed I would do, alongside the person I am so blessed to be journeying through this life with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment